Saturday, July 9, 2011

Facebook

So everyone is familiar with Facebook and for those who have one notice the many advertisements that are posted on the sides of the Facebook page. Usually they are things that make you question what Facebook was thinking when that advertisement was tutored for you. But in one of the few cases that have actually been something I was interested I came across this advertisement.


I look at a lot of CrossFit pages and this advertisement was clearly tutored just for me. I'm from Chicago, like CrossFit, and I do lots of races. So I clicked the link, something that I very rarely do, and now I am most likely going to be participating in this CrossFit obstacle course race in September. There are things like Bing's Decision Engine on the internet, essentially smart advertising. It adapts to your preferences and the Metro Dash races found Facebook to be a suitable place to pay for this type of smart advertising. Facebook's ad agency on their website has it set up so you can pay Facebook to advertise for you based on what groups, interests, locations, etc. that people have and only advertise to people with those characteristics.

So in the case of Metro Dash, they most likely paid Facebook for people who have their location set in Chicago, like the CrossFit page, or in their interests have CrossFit. The only reason why I know how the Facebook advertisement agency works is because for my last job I was assigned to find out how we could better advertise our company. In my research one of the easiest and cheapest ways to do so was through Facebook's advertising agency. Plus it is specifically tutored towards whatever we desire to advertise towards.

On a side note, CrossFit is an excellent way to gain fitness and can require less than thirty minutes of your time to do so. It is a class oriented way of working out so you always have people cheering you on to complete the grueling workouts. I highly recommend anyone looking to get a tough workout, but need a push to go try to find the nearest CrossFit gym to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment